2016 Seniors Say Goodbye

June 9, 2016 capped off a long journey for 35 seniors at Lake Pend Oreille School. A journey that many of them doubted would ever happen at multiple times during their education. It started off in the gym first thing in the morning with a breakfast catered by the Hoot Owl, after which the group of nervous seniors met at the Events Center for rehearsal. They were greeted by gift bags on their chairs, a tradition created by Randy and Belinda. The bags held beach towels with the LPOHS logo, sunglasses, water bottles and other trinkets appropriate for summertime enjoyment. Then it was down to business for the next two hours walking in and walking out, remembering their line up and everything to prepare them for the night ahead.

Families and friends started arriving at 5:30pm for the 7pm event. By the times the seniors filed onto the stage it was standing room only, even the halls were filled with people. After a welcome and introduction of the staff by Geoff it was time for the student speakers. Cody Higgins and Quentin Standish each  gave heartfelt talks about the school, the family environment and their reluctance to leaving the place they had grown so accustomed.

Then it was time for the signature event of Lake Pend Oreille High School’s graduation, the staff to students tributes. A menagerie of emotions went through the staff as they took turns talking about certain students. Some staff fought back tears and fears while others used the time to give a little bit of a roast to the students they had spent so many years with on a daily basis. Gifts ranged from flowers, to books of poetry, a windshield, a tailgate and Ed literally gave Josh Kirby the shirt off his back. Each gift was a symbol of time spent with the students and each had a special back story. The gift were received in much the same manner. Students cried, laughed and embraced the teachers with genuine appreciation.

Finally, the diploma’s were handed out and the room swelled with pride from both the families and staff. LPOHS graduations are always a high point to the school year and the best is wished for each of our graduates.