• Hang in there, make sure you leave for Christmas break in good standing academically

The student news site of Lake Pend Oreille High School

LPOHS Online

Veterans Day Visit to the Space Station

Lake Pend Oreille HS hosted a Veterans Day assembly November 10th. In addition to students and faculty, a handful of local veterans were in attendance—men and women whose military service totaled over a century, collectively. They sat in the front row and wore garrison caps, medals fastened regally to uniforms and pins pinned to gold-trimmed blue or red lapels—branch dependent. Following an invitation from teacher Bret Johnson to come together after a divisive presidential election, to recognize the role soldiers play in protecting our ability to hold disparate opinions, Calista Sponaugle, a senior at LPO, led attendees in the Pledge of Allegiance.

John Phillips, retired astronaut and Navy Captain, was the guest speaker. He narrated a slide show covering three separate expeditions to the International Space Station, detailing objectives and accomplishments. As a captive among the stars, John spent much of his free time gazing at Earth below, even snapping a few pictures. One of Lake Pend Oreille, its orientation lopsided, its waters Prussian as seen from a porthole in space, was of particular note—especially to the adolescent minds placing themselves, just for a moment, in the dark, weightless pool of exosphere, somehow closer to the last frontier through association.

A Q & A followed John’s presentation. Questions revolved around the day-to-day: the quotidian logistics of biological imperatives, even entertainment. And yes, the bathroom query—we were all thinking it and glad someone asked—was answered in a matter-of-fact, albeit comical way. On a final note, John disclosed that he applied to be an astronaut in 1976 but wasn’t accepted until 20 years later. If there was a message—thankfully, presented subtly and without unwieldy cliché—it was one of perseverance, of never giving up on one’s hopes and dreams.