• Hang in there, make sure you leave for Christmas break in good standing academically

LPOHS Online

Spirit Week • November 1, Day of the Dead

November 1st students can paint their faces to match the Day of the Dead theme. While many people associate this day with Halloween it is actually more of a Mexican version of Memorial Day.

Day of the Dead is a Mexican holiday celebrated throughout Mexico, in particular the Central and South regions, and by people of Mexican ancestry living in other places, especially the United States. It is acknowledged internationally in many other cultures. The multi-day holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died, and help support their spiritual journey. 

The holiday is sometimes called Día de los MuertosIt is particularly celebrated in Mexico where the day is a public holiday. Prior to Spanish colonization in the 16th century, the celebration took place at the beginning of summer. Gradually it was associated with October 31, November 1 and November 2 . Traditions connected with the holiday include building private altars, honoring the deceased using sugar skulls, marigolds and the favorite foods and beverages of the departed, and visiting graves with these as gifts. Visitors also leave possessions of the deceased at the graves.